Location:40 CUMBERLAND ROAD
Closing Date:12 Feb 2023
Salary: PO6 £48,867 – £51,903
Location: Haringey, North London
Hours: 36 Hours per week
Closing date: Sunday 22nd January 2023
Haringey Council is one of 32 in London. Haringey is an extremely diverse borough and the Council has set clear ambitious objectives through its borough plan to make Haringey a better place to live, encourage investment and create opportunities that all can share. Haringey’s vision for the future is one of sustainable growth, in housing and jobs and on helping our residents and businesses take advantage of that growth.
We have got huge ambitions for Haringey. As the shape of local government continues to change, we are determined to rise to the challenge and find new ways to ensure that our residents enjoy the best opportunities in life. Working at Haringey gives you the opportunity to play a part in meeting those ambitions on behalf of everyone who calls the borough their home.
About the role
The Council’s transport planning, policy, strategy and projects functions to support delivery of the Council’s Borough Plan.
Delivery of all transport Development Management related services, including transport advice on planning pre-application, application, determination, S106, S278, S247 agreements, Transport Studies/Strategies/Assessments, Travel Plans, appeals and enforcement. This includes high levels of professional advice and negotiation on politically sensitive proposals and major schemes and managing the team’s caseload.
Tottenham Hotspurs Football Club development S278 agreement, S38 adoption of highways, S16 licenses, Local Area Wide Management Plan (LAMP), Monitoring Proposal Document and other related initiatives. This includes Traffic Management and Controlled Parking Zone (TMZ/COZ) Reviews and maintenance of the ‘Blue Book’. Work on regular liaison and correspondence with THFC representatives, local ward members, Cabinet Members and other stakeholder consultative groups, as well as overseeing satisfactory stewarding arrangements in accordance with the plans.
Commissioning, drafting, consultation and delivery of transport policy, strategy and projects, including the Transport Strategy, Action Plans (including for walking and cycling), the Local Implementation Plan (LIP) and Annual Spending Submission (ASS), supporting the Statutory Development Plan, Infrastructure Plans, Neighbourhood Plans and Supplementary Planning Documents and evidence base documents such as Transport Studies/Strategies/Assessments, Public Rights of Way Definitive Map.
Delivery of public meetings, events, dissemination of information, reports, monitoring performance, responding to and implementing new legislation and policies from the Government, the Mayor of London, Transport for London, adjoining authorities and other bodies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provision of transportation advice on behalf of the Highway Authority to enable the effective assessment and processing of large scale, complex strategic planning applications with a high level of political sensitivity and profile – through all stages of the development process from pre-application stages through to implementation and completion.
- Initiation, development and completion of transportation and related policy and strategy, including advising on transport issues within development plan and related planning policy documents and the development of related/supporting bids and business cases that enable cost effective delivery of transport and planning policy objectives in line with the Borough Plan priorities for Haringey.
- Commissioning/preparation and delivery of expert reports and studies to underpin the development and implementation of transport projects, transport polices, planning policy and related strategies or to support the effective assessment and determination of complex planning applications and appeals.
- Act as the Council expert witness in respect of transportation matters in planning and related appeals and/or public examination of policy and for proceedings in the High Court in respect of planning and related provisions (including advice to support Compulsory Purchase Orders).
- Implement projects/systems/processes to allow the service to meet/exceed defined financial and performance objectives (including in the submission of annualised/one off grant bids to TfL) and work on the delivery of initiatives to improve the quality and performance of the services and outcomes provided by the team.
- Prepare and present high-quality reports and briefings on transport and related matters and make recommendations in accordance with the agreed scheme of delegation.
- Attend Council meetings and other high level public meetings and present reports to such meetings on behalf of the Highway Authority.
- Support the development, coaching and mentoring of junior staff in accordance with the objectives of the Council Workforce Strategy
- Support the implementation of Council transformation programmes, alongside the corporate plan commitment to ensuring efficient, cost-effective service delivery and continuous improvement.
- Support smart working across the service and support the delivery of the Council people strategy, including taking responsibility for own career and personal development.
Knowledge and Experience
Evidence of sound understanding of the regulations and processes of the service and able to demonstrate how they are equipped to succeed in the delivery of one or more of the following service areas:
- Transport planning, policy, strategy and projects
- Development management
- Planning policy
- Urban design
- Developing of funding bids and delivery programmes
- Transport assessment
- Transport funding
- Transport programme delivery
We offer a local authority pension and a healthy work-life balance, with flexible working hours, work from home days, generous annual leave, and an interest free travel loan. The team is currently working remotely, but plan to return to some office based work in the coming months. We are committed to our employees and offer many opportunities for professional development. This includes training, shadowing and mentoring. You will be part of a wide professional network, across London and the UK.